This week, the University of Cambridge Primary School is embarking on a three week project that will culminate in the children meeting their new class teacher at the final Virtual Family Friday on 17th July. The UCPSpace Project draws on English and creative thinking skills as they journey through space to reach their new commander (new teacher). Maths will continue as usual on the blog, although there may be additional maths opportunities explored in the UCPSpace Project as it progresses.
Email communication will look like this:
- Monday – No video email
- Tuesday – No video email
- Wednesday – No video email
- Thursday – Virtual Gardening Club emailed
- Friday – Video links sent out for following weeks project plus Premier Sport videos, well-being and a video explaining the weekly overview of learning.
- UCPSpace project 1: ‘Pack your suitcase! Year 2, it’s down to you! Grab a suitcase and get packing! Think of items that you would need to take with you to space. When you’ve got a list, go round the house and find the objects! Once you’ve collected your objects, write a list of your items in your home-school earning book.Year 2 UNLOCK CHALLENGE: Remember to use bullet points in your list and for an extra challenge describe each item using an expanded noun phrase. Click here for a suitcase template
- Maths: Lesson 1 – Adding and subtracting tens. Similarly to last week, please click on the following link and scroll down to Summer Term – Week 4 (w/c 11th May) to access this weeks learning on Adding and Subtracting Tens ‘White Rose’
- Click here to access your practice paper for adding and subtracting tens: Maths practice paper 1 add and subtract 10
- UCPSpace project 2: ‘Research rockets and design a space craft’ Now you have your suitcase, it’s time to prepare for space! The first task you need to organise is something to travel in. UCPSpace is a new organisation, so we haven’t built any rockets yet. For your first task as UCPS astronauts, you need to research different designs, layouts and functions. Using your new knowledge, you then need to design a space craft craft of your choice, think about the shapes, features, size and compartments For Year 2: Remember your space craft needs to have a moving part!
- Click here to visit your class login page to access the Get Epic books allocated to you for this task: Get Epic Login page
Possible research websites:
- Maths: Lesson 2 – Add 2-digit numbers. Please remember to click on the following link and scroll down to Summer Term – Week 4 (w/c 11th May) to access today’s learning on adding 2 digit numbers:Adding 2-digit numbers
- Click here to access your practice paper for adding 2 digit numbers: Maths practice paper 2 Add 2digit numbers
- Well-being: Snuggle up somewhere cosy and listen to Mrs Bates reading ‘Q Pootle 5 in Space!’ By Nick Butterworth (see email link)
- UCPSpace project 2 continued: Continue to design your space craft, if you are feeling extra spicy – can you create it using any materials of your choice. You may like to build it out of recycled materials or you may want to build it in the garden ready for lift off!
- Maths: Lesson 3 – Subtract 2-digit numbers, please click on the following link and scroll down to Summer Term – Week 4 (w/c 11th May) to access today’s learning on subtracting 2 digit numbers Subtracting 2 digit numbers
click here to access your practice paper for subtracting 2-digit numbers: Maths practice paper 3 Subtract 2 digit number
- UCPSpace project 3:Well done, you’ve designed your space craft! To make sure other UCPS astronauts can fly it, we need you to create an instruction manual on how to operate it. Year 2 UNLOCK CHALLENGE: When writing your instructions, make sure to include time connective and adverbs, e.g. first quickly, then carefully. Click here if you would like to print the template: Instruction Manual Template
- Maths Lesson 4 – Bonds to 100, please click on the following link and scroll down to Summer Term – Week 4 (w/c 11th May) to access today’s learning on bonds to 100 (tens and ones) Bonds to 100 tens and ones
- Well-being: Please wait for the school email link to gain access to the YouTube video for your Gardening topic video this week with Miss Glenister and Mrs Watson.
- UCPSpace project 3: Continue with project from yesterday
- Maths: Lesson 5 to practice recording number bonds to 100 in tens and ones. Click here to find the recording sheet: Maths practice paper Bonds 100